This is Karen filling in for Chris tonight. Sorry that I have not responded to any of the wonderful emails we have received – I have intended to after Charlotte falls asleep, but then I pass out about one hour after she goes down for the night, after finishing bottle washing and laundry sorting duties.
Today we took a group trip to the Teng Wang Pavillion. As you can see from the pictures, it is pretty impressive. It was originally constructed in 653 during the early Tang dynasty, but has been rebuilt 29 times. The current version is in the Southern Song style. From the pavilion you get a wonderful panoramic view of the entire city and the Gan river. During our visit, we saw a live performance of traditional Chinese instruments, Chinese dance, and singing. It was wonderful, and Charlotte liked it all until the soprano hit a high note. Our itinerary has been changed so that we will be in JiangXi province longer than originally expected, and will only go to Guangzhou for 3 days for our appointments with the US consulate. While I would have liked to have the full Guangzhou experience (and all the shopping too!), we are lucky to be spending so much time in the province where Charlotte was born. Tomorrow, we are going to an agricultural town outside of Nanchang to see what a typical village in JiangXi is like.
We saw some of the workers from Charlotte’s orphanage again yesterday when we were interviewed and took our oaths. One caretaker seemed particularly close to Charlotte. I asked him why she was given her name, ShiCi, which we have been told is very unusual for a girl. He smiled and agreed that it is unusual. He said it is a philosophical name that is intended to represent Chinese culture (classical poetry). We like this idea – we are so sad about taking Charlotte away from her country and culture, it is nice to know that she will carry this symbol of her incredibly rich heritage with her.
There were a lot of firsts today with Charlotte – she seems to be slowly coming out of her hypervigilent state and to be feeling a bit better. Last night we woke up twice to hear her babbling to herself and playing in her crib. She is showing interest in all sorts of new toys (which have to pass the in-the-mouth test) and her feet, and was more interactive with us today. She lay down on Chris’s chest and tried to imitate the sounds he was making and put her stacking cup in his mouth. We even saw a couple of half smiles. I have to confess that our no/little television before age 2 philosophy has already been put to the test, and Charlotte and I watched a Chinese soap opera and then a children’s show. The sound of the voices speaking Chinese seems to calm her, and she likes the close-up of the people’s faces. All of that said, Charlotte has picked up a cold and is being even more finicky about eating than usual, although she surprised us by feeding herself some puffs today. Charlotte is trying to explain her routine to us, but it is taking us some time to pick up on her signals. We are both amazed at what a brave and resilient little girl she is, and how patient she is being as the two of us stumble through learning the ropes on parenting. She is talking to herself now, but hopefully after a good night’s sleep, she will feel better for our outing tomorrow.
Today we took a group trip to the Teng Wang Pavillion. As you can see from the pictures, it is pretty impressive. It was originally constructed in 653 during the early Tang dynasty, but has been rebuilt 29 times. The current version is in the Southern Song style. From the pavilion you get a wonderful panoramic view of the entire city and the Gan river. During our visit, we saw a live performance of traditional Chinese instruments, Chinese dance, and singing. It was wonderful, and Charlotte liked it all until the soprano hit a high note. Our itinerary has been changed so that we will be in JiangXi province longer than originally expected, and will only go to Guangzhou for 3 days for our appointments with the US consulate. While I would have liked to have the full Guangzhou experience (and all the shopping too!), we are lucky to be spending so much time in the province where Charlotte was born. Tomorrow, we are going to an agricultural town outside of Nanchang to see what a typical village in JiangXi is like.
We saw some of the workers from Charlotte’s orphanage again yesterday when we were interviewed and took our oaths. One caretaker seemed particularly close to Charlotte. I asked him why she was given her name, ShiCi, which we have been told is very unusual for a girl. He smiled and agreed that it is unusual. He said it is a philosophical name that is intended to represent Chinese culture (classical poetry). We like this idea – we are so sad about taking Charlotte away from her country and culture, it is nice to know that she will carry this symbol of her incredibly rich heritage with her.
There were a lot of firsts today with Charlotte – she seems to be slowly coming out of her hypervigilent state and to be feeling a bit better. Last night we woke up twice to hear her babbling to herself and playing in her crib. She is showing interest in all sorts of new toys (which have to pass the in-the-mouth test) and her feet, and was more interactive with us today. She lay down on Chris’s chest and tried to imitate the sounds he was making and put her stacking cup in his mouth. We even saw a couple of half smiles. I have to confess that our no/little television before age 2 philosophy has already been put to the test, and Charlotte and I watched a Chinese soap opera and then a children’s show. The sound of the voices speaking Chinese seems to calm her, and she likes the close-up of the people’s faces. All of that said, Charlotte has picked up a cold and is being even more finicky about eating than usual, although she surprised us by feeding herself some puffs today. Charlotte is trying to explain her routine to us, but it is taking us some time to pick up on her signals. We are both amazed at what a brave and resilient little girl she is, and how patient she is being as the two of us stumble through learning the ropes on parenting. She is talking to herself now, but hopefully after a good night’s sleep, she will feel better for our outing tomorrow.
I'll eat anything
Pop Pop and Charlotte
Time for a bottle break
7 comments:
Charlotte is looking more and more cuddly everyday. These pictures get cuter everyday too. Before you know it, you will have her all figured out. Go to bed early!
Love, Marybeth
Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us.I love the pictures.She's so cute and you all look so happy.I'm very happy for you!!cheryl
Ah no sleep, another benefit of parenthood. She does look more and more beautiful everyday, and the parental units look to be doing better. The picture with Pop Pop was one of the best so far.
Love Mike and Richelle
I laughed at the pictures where she has her socks on and then the one she didn't figuring those got pulled off 1,2,3 just like my 3 girls did. LOVED to put their feet in their mouths. I know that the waking up at night is 'new' for you BUT look at all the rewards of it. Jacquelyn likes Charlotte's hair it is 'pretty'. Love to all, Jill, Peter and the girls
We have only met a couple of times, I am a friend of Jill and Peters, and even though I don't know you I am fasinated by your journey and story. I log on almost daily to see the new pictures, SHE IS GORGEOUS. (i don't even have to say that cuz i am not family). I don't have to know who Pop-pop is to see the pride in his eyes and the beautiful face, the picture is prize winning!!
AMY
I am so happy for all of you! Your blog is a fantastic way for all of us to share the joy with you and to enjoy seeing Charlotte! My very best to you, Leslie Nydick
p.s. I enjoyed your photos of your Hong Kong trip -- brought back memories of my trips to HK when my brother lived there for several years.
It looks like Charlotte is adjusting. She certainly looks like she loves being with you both. How wonderful to see sll this happpening day by day. I turn on the computer first thing in the morning so I can see what happened the day before.
I especially loved seeing Charlotte in Dad's arms. It brought tears to my eyes. You can see how content she is to be there and how happy he is to have her there.
Thanks for sharing all these pictures with us.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment