Saturday, December 16, 2006

Jiangshang Village

Today we visited a local JiangXi village named Jiangshang. It is an agricultural town outside of Nanchang that grows rice and vegetables. On the way we stopped at a local store to buy candy, pencils, paints and other gifts for the village children. When we arrived we walked through the town and were greeted by the friendly villagers. We passed out the candy, etc. to the eager children, some of who wanted to practice their english.....it was great fun!! I'm sure we were quite a sight; we seem to be an attraction wherever we go.

Charlotte is coming out of her shell more each day. We have been on the receiving end of a couple of tentative smiles and her babbling continues to increase. We're still figuring each other out.....it's amazing we've only been together for a few days.....but we are quickly learning what her different cries and vocalizations mean.

Tomorrow we are going to visit the orphanage where Charlotte was cared for, for the past 10 months. When we first arrived in Nanchang and asked if we could visit the orphanage, our guide De said it was too far. When he realized we all wanted to go.....he made it happen. We leave early in the morning and will have lunch at the orphanage. Until tomorrow.....enjoy the pictures!



Everybody was up early and then fell asleep shortly after



The toy talks?



Another puff please
Nap time


I can't sleep with you staring at me



Candy caravan

Little girl counting her loot


Abby, daughter of one the adoptive families, with the adorable local children

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see some girls in the village you visited. Looks like you are really getting to experience the diversity of China. I wish I was there to see it too. I have printed out and framed one of Charlotte's pictures. As many people are saying, we just can't stop looking at her pictures, she is so adorable! Can't wait to hear what her orphange was like.
Love, Marybeth

Gradito5 said...

I am soooo excited that you are going to the orphange and will meet the people who helped to shape Charlotte's path in life. How wonderful that you will be able to tell her in words and show her in pictures about the caregivers who you will meet.

I also looked back at an earlier picture and see there are 3 older siblings on the trip, and I can only imagine what they think of their new sibilings AND traveling with 9 babies! Love, Jill, Gianna 'she looks pretty in pink Charlotte Grace' and Jacquelyn 'can I have some candy, too!'

Anonymous said...

Glad to see my niece finally. The Buddha was also cool (albeit less cuddly than Charlotte). As for scoldings over insufficient bundling: you didn't need to go to China for that, I used to get it in NY. Sleep now and then and enjoy the rest of the trip -- Chris