Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Adoption Day

It's official....Charlotte Grace ShiCi is our daughter. Today we completed the paperwork for the Chinese portion of the adoption. Pretty uneventful....Charlotte is still under the weather but is a real trooper. She just wants to be held by either of us. It's a wonderful feeling that she finds comfort in our arms. We've learned alot about each other in the last 24 hours. Once we found the bottle nipple with the preferred opening (now referred to as the magic nipple and treated as if it were the hope diamond......"Hey Karen, maybe we should put it in the room safe when not in use") and the correct formula temperature (hot), we have quickly become proficient at making and serving up bottles of formula with rice cereal mixed in. She gobbles down ~4oz. at a time which isn't a whole lot...so needless to say we were up a couple of times last night. She's also not feeling well so she didn't sleep well. Once Charlotte is feeling better we will try more solid food.

We also learned she really doesn't like hanging around the room. We went for a walk and stumbled upon a park and she was quite content. We had her bundled but one older Chinese woman didn't think Charlotte had on enough layers, or so we think as we've heard many tales of the scoldings dished out by the older generation of Chinese women for "improper bundling". Karen got scolded!!
Tomorrow the whole group is headed to a park.....so hopefully Charlotte will enjoy that.
Not that you care.....but I also posted a couple pictures of the Po Lin Monastary below.



The thumb bone's connected to the jaw bone....always!



Bundled for a walk



Walking around Nanchang

What a face!!


Look at those cheeks!!




The ride up to Po Lin Monastary......I know.....whatever, where's the baby

Now that's a Buddha!

17 comments:

Gradito5 said...

So glad to hear that everything is going well, and that she has a definite personality...hope that she is feeling better in a few days, but the teething can really bring them down. Love, Jill and Jacquelyn

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's official! Glad to hear you are figuring her out and she has taken to both of you. I keep showing Alexandra Charlotte's pictures and she always smiles at them. I think they will hit it off. We can't wait to meet Charlotte.
Love, Marybeth

Anonymous said...

Karen and Chris,
She is perfect! Congratulations, we are so happy for you. You and Charlotte remain in our prayers.
Love,
Liz and Steve

Katherine said...

Your daughter is beautiful. What cheeks! I'm friends with Savannah's parents. Loving following your journey. Happy Traveling--Enjoy Lucy's in Guangzhou--go for the broccoli--it's the best.

Stults Family said...

Sorry Charlotte is under the weather, but we are so happy to hear how well you are all doing. The pictures are fabulous. Have a great time.
p.s. It wouldn't matter if you dressed her in all the clothes you brought - it still wouldn't be enough for the Chinese grandmas!!

Jim Cannon said...

Dr. Magri and Mr. Karen: I was delighted to hear that your new family is now all together and that everything is going well. Charlotte is a doll. I'm also glad to hear that, at this point, Charlotte is tolerant of her parents (I can attest to the fact that such tolerance does not always last, particularly in the teenage years).

I hope that you know that anytime you need to use Molly or I as a resource (for information, unwanted advice, venting, etc.), please feel free to do so.

Talk to you soon, and our heartiest congratulations.

Jim

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! It's like watching a fairy tale come true. Charlotte is so cute!! We can't wait to meet her. Mom definitely looks beaming happy. I can only imagine how you 2 feel. What a great looking family.

sajman said...

She looks great. Has Chris increased his credit card limit. She needs a new wardrobe, shoes and a horse.

God Bless Mike and Richelle

AB said...

How wonderful to see such happy pictures. I know you are experiencing excitement, exhaustion and many more "ex"treme words - so cherish them all. Can't wait to see her in person. By the way, most babies are hot natured and if their feet are warm to touch you don't have to heat them up anymore. But you know what they say - when in China..... well, at least in public. Love, AB

Anonymous said...

Wow she is so beautiful. What an amazing journey you have been on and just begun. The pictures are absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us. Lots of love and best wishes. Cindy and Eric

Anonymous said...

What a beutiful baby!! Karen looks absolutely radiant. I'm so happy tha she wants to be held by you both.
I can't stop looking at her pictures. She's gorgeous.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

She's REALLY cute ! We love how she looks !

Love,
Katie, Nathan and Noah Kent

PS-(from Katie) I suck my thumb sometimes too !

KennedysNC said...

Hey guys, we have not been able to post to the BLOG for a couple of days for some reason! We hope all is going well for you and we say a prayer for you each night. Keep us posted on how everything is going as we love to see the pictures of the family!

Mike, Ann Marie & Savannah

Anonymous said...

We are so glad it's official. We hope Charlotte feels better soon. Teething can be hard on little ones. Enjoy:) Love, Carol and Dan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Karen and Chris! Charlotte is gorgeous, we'll have to come down to North Carolina sometime to visit you guys.
Love, Laurel

Anonymous said...

This is the best reality show I've ever watched!! You've just started and you've already won! Can't wait for the next webisode.
John and Linda

Anonymous said...

She is so cute and you all look so happy.Good things are worth the wait.cheryl