Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Last Day in Guangzhou

Today was our last full day in Guangzhou. We had a little paperwork to do and then we strolled around the parks and took in the local culture and scenery. In the afternoon we took group photos and the famed Red Couch photo. This is where the families line up all of the babies, usually dressed in Chinese clothing, and take a photograph....simple right? It's chaos! The babies are all squashed onto the couch and start crying immediately. Moms are trying to get the babies to look up and stop crying while the dads elbow each other for the best position. You have about 3 seconds to take a shot before worried moms intervene and start plucking babies from the couch. I got off two photos; one of someone else's camera and one of the back of someones head. Luckily we can get the photos from those with the best position. This evening we took a dinner cruise on the Pearl River. Guangzhou is a beautiful city....especially at night. Every building along the waterfront is covered in neon lights that flash beautiful patterned displays. It was a long night for the babies....luckily we were able to get two naps in for Charlotte today so she did pretty well....and she ate another noodle!! That's two in two days for those of you keeping score at home.
Tomorrow we stop at the US Consulate to be interviewed and get Charlotte's US passport and then travel on to Hong Kong by bus. We fly out of Hong Kong Saturday morning. I will try and provide one more quick post before leaving Hong Kong. In case I am unable to post from Hong Kong, I would like to thank all of you for following along on our wonderful journey and for your loving and supportive comments. Many of you have told us you couldn't wait to see the next days post....we were the same way with the comments. We looked forward to them every day. Some day this blog will be a story for Charlotte to read about her journey from China to the US. Your comments will show just how much love and support the three of us have had. And of course the story has a happy ending!
Keep an eye out for updates every week or two once we're home.
Thank you all!
Love,
Chris, Karen and Charlotte Grace ShiCi



Mommy is fun!!



A walk by the river


Charlotte playing on the bed


Silly girl



What a smile!!

(yes in the rush to capture her smile I cut out her head)



Waterfall picture with Charlotte in her Chinese silks




Children's dance performance in the park

Guangzhou waterfront at night

18 comments:

KennedysNC said...

Charlotte is really opening up! What a beauty! I am glad your trip is coming to an end as we just can't wait to meet Charlotte in person!!! Savannah wants to teach her lots of new things! Love Michael, Ann Marie & Savannah!

PS - bring diaper/wipes, bottle and toy to the consulate - even though they tell you not to. Take a small bag or stuff the diaper in your pant pocket!

Anonymous said...

What a change in Charlotte from the first day's pictures, to today. She doesn't seem to be scared anymore, she seems to be in love. Can't wait to talk to you when you get home. By the way, where did you get that jumper she is wearing in the pictures? I love it and want one for Alexandra. Have a safe and uneventful journey home.
Love, Marybeth

Anonymous said...

Karen and Chris you hit the jackpot-she is beautiful. When I first saw her picture I was sure all of the 9 month clothing would be too small but as you said she really is a peanut! Those cheeks are deceiving. Charlotte - we are anxiously awaiting your arrival. Love Grandma

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. You're right. It will be meaningful for Charlotte to read all about her trip to the US as she grows older. Had lunch with her proud Grandmother yesterday. She's anxiously awaiting your return home. Safe trip.

Anonymous said...

I just love stories with happy endings! We have had great fun following along and can't wait to see what the next chapter holds. Enjoy your remaining time in China. We wish you a safe and speedy trip home! Hugs, kisses and love to all....Andrea, David, Josh & Lauren

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to watch Charlotte transition. You can see the bonding happen. There's no doubt who Mom and Dad are now! We can't wait for you all to get back so we can meet her. Have a safe trip and we look forward to seeing the whole family together in person.

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! Charlotte will enjoy and appreciate this blog when she is older. I love her beautiful smile and her cheeks. Have a safe trip home and I will tune in for future updates. I can't wait to meet Charlotte.

Carol

Stults Family said...

Fabulous pictures - you all look so wonderful together. Have a great last day - the plane ride is a bear, but at least you have home to look forward to this time. That and the first time seeing her in her room - aahh the memories!
Take care and we'll see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys thanks so much for the great photos. Charlotte looks terrific and you all look so happy together. Have a safe ride to Hong Kong and a good flight back, we can't wait to see and meet all of you! Ken & Barb

Anonymous said...

Chris&Karen,this has been such a wonderful experience not just for you but I have enjoyed this so much seeing the changes in Charlotte from day one. Everyday I can see such a change in her.She gets more beautiful everyday. I wish you all much happines and hope the trip home is a safe and ahappy one,if you can call all those hours on a plane happy.Love Aunt Camille!

KennedysNC said...

Hey guys, Mike here chiming in from the airport in Indianapolis! We at the Kennedy household cannot wait for the newest arrival at Sunset Lake to come home! Safe travels and enjoy your last few hours in China!

Anonymous said...

Charlotte looks so happy to be with her Mom & Dad. What a transformation from day one. She looks like she has always been with you. What a happy lovely family you make. I hope all goes well with the trip home. I will be thinking about you all. Tell Dad I think he looks great & can't wait to see him.
Kiss my grandaughter for me.
Love, Mom

Our Cousin Charlotte said...

Hi Auntie Karen and Uncle Chris, I love these last pictures you have taken and posted for us. I especially liked the picture at night on the River....I told Mommy, 'That is the end of the pier like in NY (Port Jefferson)'.......come home soon, we love you all. Love, Gianna and Jacquelyn xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I've been following all along but this is my first comment, and I can't believe you're already just about on your way home. What a fabulous Christmas present for your family, to be able to spend it at home together.

I hope the long trip home goes smoothly and Charlotte continues to be a good little traveler. Once you've had your family bonding time at home, we'll come up to visit and meet your precious, beautiful daughter.

Love, Maryellen, David and Ian

Gradito5 said...

I just love the pictures of her with her thumb connected inside her mouth... as my 2 oldest were the original 'binkie' babies I can't wait to see which is harder to break the child from....although, as you also know my attitude life is too short, and when was the last time you saw a child going to kindergarten with a binkie or sucking their thumb :) Praying for an uneventful flight for all of you especially my dear sister Karen who just LOVES to fly. Charlotte Grace ShiCi, you are loved by all of your family here in the United States and all your glowing parents friends. How blessed all 3 of you are to have found each other. Love, Auntie Jill

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us.It helps us get to know Charlotte too, before we have the chance to meet her in person.She's got a great smile!!!

Anonymous said...

Someday, when you're a few years older, I hope that you get as much enjoyment, happiness and thrills as I've gotten. This has been very special for me and for many others. I get a big kick out of seeing a "southpaw" thumb sucker. That's something that will always stick in my mind - as well as the fact that you are such a beautiful little peanut.
Your loving GrandPa

Anonymous said...

Karen and Chris, Thank you for letting us be a part of this incredible journey. The pictures are just wonderful. We all can't wait to meet Charlotte, she is so cute!!! Have a wonderful Christmas you both have gotten the best present ever. What a blessing!
Love, Lori,Andrew, Christie and Stephen